[Xquartz-dev] x11 forwarding, El Capitan

John Koren johnkoren14 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 03:38:57 PDT 2015

After upgrading to El Capitan, my macs are not able to do x11forwarding.

When I ssh -Y to a remote mac host I get the following message: X11
forwarding request failed on channel 0. This indicates that DISPLAY
variable set to a local value - I would expect 10 or larger for a remote
login.

I can ssh -Y to an old Sun computer or a very old mac with no problem.

I noticed that in El Capitan system-wide ssh configuration files are now in
/etc/ssh.

I enabled X11forwarding and included

# XAuthLocation added by XQuartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org)
Host *
   XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth

in the ssh_config and sshd_config files in /etc/ssh.

Has anybody faced this issue with El Capitan and found a solution to it?