[Xquartz-dev] Resend: Modifying the default keys for copy and paste

from at alumni.stanford.edu from at alumni.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 22 15:12:24 PDT 2016

Dear XQuartz developers,

I have a class where the majority of students are using Macs and XQuartz to
interact with an app running on Linux. They are developing code with the
app, so are doing a lot of copying and pasting.

The students are used to using Cmd-C and Cmd-V to copy and paste, but the
app expects Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

Googling how to map the keys led to your website, where I tried the
solution offered at

https://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/398

which is to have the students use this .Xmodmap file

clear mod2
clear control
keycode 63 = Control_L
keycode 67 = Control_L
keycode 71 = Control_L
add control = Control_L

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.

I'm sure this is a commonly desired functionality and there must be a
solution. Could you please tell me how to accomplish this key mapping.

These are our XQuartz Pasteboard settings:
Enable syncing: y
Update Pasteboard when CLIPBOARD changes: n
Update CLIPBOARD when Pasteboard changes: y
Update PRIMARY (middle-click) when Pasteboard changes: y
Update Pasteboard immediately when new text is selected: n

Many thanks,

Bill