[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.7.9_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Jan 6 19:30:00 PST 2016

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 13:41, Jack Howarth <howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jeremy,
>     Unless I am missing something here, the change to so version bump
> libXt while retaining the legacy libXt.6.dylib built with
> -flat_namespace breaks the ability to rebuild OpenMotif. If I use...

>  "_XtAddCallback", referenced from:
>      _ChangeCB in ArrowB.o
>      _ChangeCB in ArrowBG.o
>      _InsertChild in BulletinB.o
>      _Initialize in Command.o
>      _XmeCreateClassDialog in DialogS.o
>      _XmDragStart in DragC.o
>      _InitiatorMainLoop in DragC.o
>  "_XtAddEventHandler", referenced from:
>      _XmClipboardEndCopy in CutPaste.o
>      _InsertChild in MenuShell.o
>      _Initialize in RowColumn.o
>      _Realize in RowColumn.o
>      _InsertChild in RowColumn.o
>      _Initialize in Scale.o
>      __XmTextOutputCreate in TextOut.o

I see that symbol:

~ $ nm -arch x86_64 /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib | grep XtAddEventH
000000000000c8b0 T _XtAddEventHandler

> etc. Have you tested this in MacPorts to see if its openmotif package
> can be rebuilt against XQuartz 2.7.9-rc1?

>               Jack
> ps Perhaps you really need both the legacy copy of libXt.6.dylib and
> to build a second copy of libXt,7.dylib using -flat_namespace (placed
> in a buried subdirectory) to cope with the ABI changes in the headers
> for libXt.

That doesn't make sense.  libXt.6.dylib *IS* the version of libXt.dylib using -flat_namespace.

There is no ABI change in the headers or anything like that.  This is just a change to fix linkage to remove that hack to workaround the bugs in Motif.