[Xquartz-dev] No window manager redux

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at humancapitaldev.com
Thu Jun 23 09:18:02 PDT 2016

I made more attempts to figure out what’s going on with no success.

First, I removed all login-time shell scripts, no change. Then I uninstalled XQuartz, rebooted, reinstalled it, and it worked as expected only once. After another reboot it now fails as it did before.

Observed behavior is that xquartz will start, launch an xterm with no decoration (there is no window manager), wait several minutes, then terminate with no warning.

At launch it logs messages saying “syntax error”, “expr: syntax error”, “unable to write ‘random state’”, and then starts repeating “waiting for X server to begin accepting connections”. After several minutes it logs “/opt/X11/bin/xinit: giving up” and terminates.