[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.7.10_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Sep 8 22:06:25 PDT 2016

Hey all,

I'd like to announce that XQuartz 2.7.10_rc1 is available.  Full changes since 2.7.9 can be seen in the release notes:

    https://www.xquartz.org/releases/XQuartz-2.7.10_rc1.html

The main change since 2.7.10_beta2 is around the libXt compatibility hack for Motif.  Because of issues with applications that use both Motif and libXaw, I've abandoned the previous approach of shipping /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib as flat_namespace and /opt/X11/lib/libXt.7.dylib as the two-level namespace version.  Now, /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib is two-level namespace, and /opt/X11/lib/libXt.7.dylib is provided as a symlink to it for compatibility.  This means that Motif based applications will fail to launch by default unless this bug is fixed in Motif.

As a workaround, we're shipping the flat namespace dylib hack at /opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace/libXt.6.dylib.  Users who require that version have two options:
  1) Replace the two-level namespace version with it (sudo cp /opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace/libXt.6.dylib /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib)
  2) Launch your Motif applications using DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace

This should not be seen as a long-term solution.  Hopefully someone will step up to fix Motif to not require this hack.

Please give this a try and comment on the effectiveness of this approach if you use Motif-based applications.

Thanks,
Jeremy