[Xquartz-dev] Newbie question about building XQuartz: autoreconf fails

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Sun Jul 16 13:58:54 PDT 2017

I wrote:
> So I'm trying to follow the server build directions at
> https://www.xquartz.org/Developer-Info.html
> I installed libtool but that didn't change the results.

Ah: self-inflicted problem.  I'd stuck libtool in a nonstandard directory
(--prefix=/usr/local/libtool-2.4.6), which meant that the recipe's
value for ACLOCAL wasn't good enough: I needed to add
"-I /usr/local/libtool-2.4.6/share/aclocal" to it.

However, that didn't get me a whole lot further.  I get compile errors
that look like maybe the wrong compiler is being used: in particular
xf86Opt.h's declaration "Bool bool" fails because bool is a macro for
_bool, coming from stdbool.h.  There are a lot of other scary-looking
warnings as well.  This is with current Xcode (8.3.3) on up-to-date
Sierra.

Any advice would be appreciated ...

			regards, tom lane