[Xquartz-dev] Is XQuartz safe to use?

Olbert, Nils i17026 at hb.dhbw-stuttgart.de
Sun Mar 8 07:03:51 PDT 2020

Hello,

I am not completely sure if this is the right mailing list for asking this question, but since the x11-users list seems to be broken (you cannot register as a subscriber (results in a "We're sorry, we hit a bug!"-Error), nor seem incoming messages to be processed (I sent this question to that list before in early February)), I am gonna ask it here:<mailto:x11-users at lists.apple.com>

The last version of XQuartz available for download is from 2016.
Since then, some serious security vulnerabilities has been spotted in X, f.e. CVE-2017-10972 or https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=x.org .
Is XQuartz immune to all of them or must installing XQuartz be considered as a security issue?

Kind regards,
Nils Olbert