[Xquartz-dev] xterms do not open after a while

Hauke Fath hf at spg.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Nov 16 04:14:44 PST 2020

Hi,

I am asking for help with an XQuartz problem that has been with me on
this machine since Snow Leopard.

In short, after this MBP has been up for a while, I cannot open xterms
any more, neither local nor remote ones. Other X clients (xlogo, xman,
XEmacs) still do open, and work. Active xterms remain functional; an
attempt to start an xterm from there just hangs like

[hauke at alblock-wi] ~ > xterm
load: 1.23  cmd: xterm 30105 waiting 0.04u 0.01s

At this point, quitting XQuartz will not help, a machine restart is
needed. A vanilla test account (created to rule out any config or shell
dependencies) shows the same scenario.

I cannot find anything in the logs - nothing in /var/log/system.log,
and /opt/X11/var/log/ is empty.

As I said, this problem has followed me from 10.6 (where XQuartz used
to work fine, until - coincidentally - I checked out a Kerberos
ticket), to 10.12 and now 10.13, which I installed from scratch and
then ran the migration assistant.

I have taken to using terminal, but it is a bear.

Any ideas?

Cheerio,
Hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344