[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.8.0 status

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Feb 17 13:33:17 PST 2021

> On Feb 11, 2021, at 11:33, nicolas bats <sl1200mk2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeremy,
> may I ask you what's the status of XQuartz 2.8.0?

I'm not aware of anything major preventing release, but I put out 2.8.0_beta4 to allow a wider audience on older operating systems to look at it.

> the problem is that almost every user has received an announcement about the 2.8.0 release and most of them have made the update.

Yeah, it's really unfortunate that 2.7.11 was configured to use the beta sparkle feed, but at least the current release is pretty much complete.

> But as I cannot start 2.8.0 on macOS 10.9 I cannot compile my app against it

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  You should be able to compile your app just fine using 2.7.11, and it should work just fine on systems with newer XQuartz.

> , and so many users complain about my app that does not work anymore.

If there is a bincompat issue that is causing your app to not work for users that have upgraded from 2.7.11 to 2.8.0, that is definitely worthy of a bug report.  What's the specific issue?

It should be fairly straight forward.  First, follow the instructions for uninstalling 2.8 at https://www.xquartz.org/FAQs.html and then re-install 2.7.11.

> Also, do you plan to update 2.8.0 soon?

I'd like to have a few weeks with it out as beta then a few weeks as release candidate before declaring it done.  This is a fairly large change from 2.7.11, so I'd like to get some bake time in.