[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.8.0_rc2

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Wed Mar 10 04:26:12 PST 2021

> Am 10.3.2021 um 08:20 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at apple.com>:
>
> Could you file a bug report for this at https://github.com/XQuartz/XQuartz/issues/new

Done!

I found another issue with XQuartz: It does not start XTerms from ~/.xinitrc. I have now:

	 74 /opt/X11/bin/xterm -T ".XinitRC" &
	 75 xterm -T "`which xterm`" &
	 76 /opt/local/bin/xterm -T ".XinitRC3" &
	 77 env LC_NUMERIC=C /usr/local/bin/emacs-27.1.91 -geometry 100x55+1221+167 -T 27.1.91 --debug-init -fn 'Lucida Sans Typewriter:autohint=true:antialias=true:size=9' &
	 78 env LC_NUMERIC=C /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.50 -geometry  99x66+200+234  -T 28.0.50 --debug-init -fn 'Lucida Sans Typewriter:autohint=true:antialias=true:size=8' &

and I also had the Emacsen before XTerm. Only the initial XTerm from startx/xinit is launched. X11 from MacPorts launches all 3 XTerms.

I have one more observation: From time to time, maybe when XQuartz has run for a minute or so and I quit, after having quit the Emacsen with Ctrl-X Ctrl-C, then the cursor sometimes vanishes. When I press Return or Tab it seems XTerm has the focus with an invisible cursor. I cannot quit XQuartz. It seems to work to move the (invisible) around and then click somewhere. This makes it reappear.

X11 and XQuartz show sometimes a strange behaviour. Could be it happened more often or solely when I quit GNU Emacs 27.1.91. The Blackbox WM seems to have passed the focus to XTerm – which prints endlessly cccccccccccc – until I press some key.

Are they worth three reports?

--
Greetings

  Pete