[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.8.0_rc3

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Mon Mar 15 01:42:51 PDT 2021

> Am 15.3.2021 um 06:38 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at gmail.com>:
>
>> Cairo is not contained in the release candidate.
>
> Correct.  Cairo hasn't been included at all in 2.8.0.  See https://www.xquartz.org/releases/XQuartz-2.8.0_beta1.html

It must have been in some release:

	otool -L /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.50 | grep cairo
		/opt/X11/lib/libcairo.2.dylib (compatibility version 11403.0.0, current version 11403.6.0)

/usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.50 is a version of GNU Emacs that I built nine days ago with XQuartz-2.8.0_rc2. And it stopped working when I installed RC3.

> Do you have need of it?  If so, I can look into re-adding it.

GNU Emacs uses Cairo and Harfbuzz for character shaping when outputting text. Actually both would be needed. Mostly I am using the libraries from MacPorts, so there is no real need for them in XQuartz.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The best way to accelerate a PC is 9.8 m/s²