[CalendarServer-dev] How to Identify ICS files / MAILROUTING caldav mails from IMIP

Morgen Sagen sagen at apple.com
Thu Nov 11 08:34:41 PST 2010

On Nov 11, 2010, at 5:07 AM, Lisana Berberi wrote:

> Hello
>
> like most of the users on this list know, i have  a calenderserver
> version -2.4 from apple running on a linux squeeze box and trying around
> with it.
>
> I have set up some users on the calendar server like
>
> joe
> with the emailaddresses
> joe at domain.com
>
> and
>
> jack
> with
> jack at domain.com
>
> the calendar server itself has the name cal.domain.com
>
> if i send invitations form joe s iphone to jack at domain.com the
>  server finds
> jack on itself and all is working
>
> if i send an invitation to a user that is not on the server the email gets
> sent out and holds the ics file.
>
> the normal emailaccounts of jack and joe are on a imap server that is not
> running on that calendar server. it is a linux box running courier and
> postfix. so if a email with an attached ics file arrives it should gets
> forwarded to ics at domain.com
>
> i should now know how i can setup a rule on maildrop that catches that email
> and sends it forward to the emailaddress ics at domain.com so that the
> caldavserver could poll it via pop and then process it via imip.
> and then the calendar server is processing the ics.
>
> is that way of mailrouting ok with the
>  setup?
> if not how can you handle innvitations that you get on your regular
> emailaddress and which needs to get to the caldav server?

Calendar server will generate email invitations for "external" invitees, and will process replies to those invitations, but it won't process invitations that originate from external organizers.  Such invitations need to be handled by the invitees' clients -- their mail client needs to hand off the .ics attachment to their calendar client.

> how can the maildrop rule be setup to catch such mails (what are the special
> things to trigger on (some tags, attachements, etc...)
>
> i assume that to pull just one pop account is compatible with many users on
> the server? so that many mailboxes just forward their mails into that single
> account to get processed.

Such a configuration is not supported.  You set up a single, dedicated account for calendar server to use to send invitations and receive replies.  It will not process incoming externally-originated invitations.

> second mailrouting question block
>
> if the calendar server sends out an invitation to a extern user, how is the
> reply adress build?
> i found out that in the exim logfile of calendar it showed that the server
> tried also to send away an email with the address
> johnson.jack at cal.domain.com
>
> so it seemed to me that the caldav server build the
>  reply address out of the
> username which the user takes to login and the hostname of the calendar. so
> if the server uses that way to selfbuild its reply address i have to setup
> the mailrouting for *@cal.domain.com to get bundle all emails that get back
> to ics at domain.com so that the server can poll them via pop
>
> Thank you lisana

The Reply-To: address for server-generated invites comes from caldavd.plist, specifically he "Scheduling > iMIP > Sending > Address" value.  A token is inserted into that address each time a new invitation is sent.  For example, if the caldavd.plist contains "myserver at example.com" the reply-to might be "myserver+91b00a86-cf40-4382-8ac6-d72ff7884f65 at example.com".