[CalendarServer-dev] Documentation work

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Thu Aug 25 21:04:54 PDT 2011

Hello,

Thanks for your interest!

I agree that we could use some documentation about packaging, that should be useful to folks who wish to create packages for their OS of choice. Some topics for such a document might include:

* C and python library dependencies (see support/build.sh)
* external service dependencies, and how to configure them (postgres, memcached)
* daemon lifecycle management (starting / stopping)

To figure out what our server requires, you can look at how we do things in the dev context using the 'run' script and the caldavd-test.plist config (and all the other config files it references), where all the stuff mentioned above should 'just work', provided the pre-reqs are met (e.g. supported platform, reasonable python version, etc)

Alternatively, I feel like there is also room for additional guides that cover things beyond very basic 'up and running' setups. Such guides could be drawn from your own experiences in using our software for whatever your particular use case is. Some potential topics here might be:

* Shared calendaring - how to set up real calendar sharing (not just proxy / delegate stuff).
* CardDAV - we have hardly anything on this, so… go nuts
* LDAP integration tutorial / example - we have real good LDAP support now.
* Performance - analysis, tuning, scalability considerations

Regarding how to submit contributions, our wiki (as of semi-recently) allows us to link to text documents in the RST format - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReStructuredText - in our SVN tree. For example this document: https://trac.calendarserver.org/browser/CalendarServer/trunk/doc/Admin/ExtendedLogItems.txt can be seen on the wiki here: https://trac.calendarserver.org/wiki/ExtendedLogItems. We want to do all new docs in RST since we can leverage SVN. Regarding commit access, I'll quote our HACKING document: "Contributions from other developers are welcome, and, as with all open development projects, may lead to "commit access" and a voice in the future of the project."

Others, chime in!

-dre