[CalendarServer-dev] Exception in recvfd --was: Re: continuing work on FreeBSD ports

Axel Rau Axel.Rau at Chaos1.DE
Thu Feb 21 11:06:21 PST 2013

Am 21.02.2013 um 01:15 schrieb glyph at twistedmatrix.com:

> Also, a Python traceback from the invocation of sendmsg() would be helpful.
I need some advice, how to do that.
>  The 'ancillary' that your debug code is printing is the Python argument value for 'ancillary', which means that Python code is getting invoked with no ancillary list.  There are only two invocations of sendmsg in the whole codebase, and the one that sends the FD is hard-coded to pass a list with one element in it along (in sendfd).  sendmsg is also called to report status from the worker to the master, and that's expected to come along with no sendmsg arguments.
I suspect a portability issue in PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords().

This patch in twext.python.sendfd.recvfd:
---
    data, flags, ancillary = recvmsg(socketfd)
    [(cmsg_level, cmsg_type, packedFD)] = ancillary
    # cmsg_level and cmsg_type really need to be SOL_SOCKET / SCM_RIGHTS, but
    # since those are the *only* standard values, there's not much point in
    # checking.
    if len(packedFD) != calcsize("i"):
        err_msg = str("recvfd: packedFD [%d] not %d bytes long" % (len(packedFD),calcsize("i")))
        print err_msg
        raise ValueError(err_msg)
    [unpackedFD] = unpack("i", packedFD)
    return (unpackedFD, data)
---
shows that there are 8 bytes returned for the fd instead of 4:
---
 	  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/kqreactor.py", line 279, in _doWriteOrRead
 	    why = selectable.doRead()
 	  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Calendar_and_Contacts_Server-4.2-py2.7-freebsd-9.1-RELEASE-amd64.egg/twext/internet/sendfdport.py", line 281, in doRead
 	    fd, description = recvfd(self.fd)
 	  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Calendar_and_Contacts_Server-4.2-py2.7-freebsd-9.1-RELEASE-amd64.egg/twext/python/sendfd.py", line 72, in recvfd
 	    raise ValueError(err_msg)
 	exceptions.ValueError: recvfd: packedFD [8] not 4 bytes long
---
Might platform related too.

Axel
---