[CalendarServer-dev] Handling of URL encoding in server responses.

Peter Mogensen apm at one.com
Wed Aug 10 06:49:07 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-10 15:33, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> --On August 10, 2016 at 9:41:29 AM +0200 Peter Mogensen <apm at one.com>
> wrote:
>
>> However... (and this is the question) ... I'm a little in doubt about how
>> to interpret RFC4918, section 8.3 wrt. which rules the server should obey
>> wrt. the Request-URI when formulating the response.
>>
>> Is the server allowed to respond with <href>/%40</href> when the
>> Request-URI was /@ ?
>>
> So you need to make sure you unquote the DAV:href value before doing
> your comparison. Internally the server actually unquotes the request-URI
> as it is processed, and then when building the DAV:href re-quotes. So
> even though the request-URI used a "bare" @ symbol, it does get quoted
> in the output.

So - the server is not required to return the <href> URL's in the same
encoding as the Request-URI.

... That was also my intuitive understanding, but I was not 100% sure of
the interpretation.

The client is not one I'm developing, but rather a 3rd party client
where the developers say that the CalendarServer is doing it wrong.

My impression was that this client is wrong by not formulating the last
request with a Request-URI matching the encoding in the body.

/Peter