[CalendarServer-users] small company setup

Terry Barnum terry at dop.com
Thu Dec 13 15:15:12 PST 2007

I've installed DCS on Tiger Server and have it working with the
default settings. I can log in via Sunbird and create a calendar with
the admin account, but I'm ashamed to say that I'm having a hard time
wrapping my head around the structure and the setup needed for my
small company of 20 Panther and Tiger users.

For the last nine years we've been using Now up to Date, which has
worked relatively well for the types of scheduling we do (we're a
video post production facility). The setup is pretty basic: about 40
categories that represent edit bays, camera packages, conference
rooms, etc. as well as about a dozen people's schedules. We don't use
meeting scheduling and it's not tied into email or contacts. Everyone
can make changes to anyone else's events (something I'd like to
change) and can see all categories.

I'm eager to play with DCS and edit the default XML and plist files,
but I'm stumbling on the setup of locations, resources and group
memberships. I've looked through the email archives and followed the
links on the site, which are all quite helpful, but just not quite
simple enough for a calendar newbie like myself.

Is there any kind of write up or How-to for someone in my situation?

Thanks,
-Terry