[CalendarServer-users] Working with Group Calendars

Tyler Keating tylerkeating at mac.com
Wed Feb 28 14:37:45 PST 2007

Cyrus,

>> I'm having trouble accessing group calendars.  So far I've
>> implemented a
>> custom directory service tied to my application, but when a member
>> tries
>> to access their group's calendar, I get a "403 Forbidden"
>> response.  The
>> custom directory service is properly returning the set of members
>> for the
>> group and then the DirectoryRecords for each member in the group.
>> I've
>> verified that the groupMembers() method in principal.py returns the
>> proper DirectoryPrincipalResources of the members as well.  I
>> don't know
>> if it's an issue with the directory service, but I thought I'd
>> mention it
>> anyway.
>>
>> Can someone please explain what I'm missing?
>
> To check whether principals and group memberships are setup
> properly, use a browser and view the /principals hierarchy there.
> When you click on a principal the server will generate an HTML page
> with some (really) useful information on it. So check that your
> groups do appear under /principals and that their membership looks
> right. Also check the regular principals that are members of a
> group to verify they show themselves as belonging to it.
>
> If the principal all look OK, then next thing to check is the ACLs
> on the resources you are trying to access. For that you may need to
> probe with a WebDAV client that allows you to inspect the ACL
> property (you will likely need to do that as the admin user).

As always, I really appreciate your quick response.  I think I'm on
the right track now at least, but unfortunately, I haven't figured
this one out on my own.  For example, when I try to view my group
principal in the browser, I get the following error (or vice versa on
the user principal):

Unhandled Error
         Traceback (most recent call last):
           File "/Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/Twisted/twisted/
internet/defer.py", line 191, in addCallback
             callbackKeywords=kw)
           File "/Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/Twisted/twisted/
internet/defer.py", line 182, in addCallbacks
             self._runCallbacks()
           File "/Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/Twisted/twisted/
internet/defer.py", line 317, in _runCallbacks
             self.result = callback(self.result, *args, **kw)
           File "/Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/Twisted/twisted/
internet/defer.py", line 663, in unwindGenerator
             return _deferGenerator(f(*args, **kwargs))
         --- <exception caught here> ---
           File "/Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/Twisted/twisted/
internet/defer.py", line 623, in _deferGenerator
             result = g.next()
           File "/Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/CalendarServer/
twistedcaldav/extensions.py", line 269, in gotProperties
             property = property.getResult()
           File "/Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/Twisted/twisted/
internet/defer.py", line 609, in getResult
             self.result.raiseException()
           File "/Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/Twisted/twisted/
python/failure.py", line 259, in raiseException
             raise self.type, self.value, self.tb
         exceptions.AssertionError: Not an element:
<DirectoryPrincipalResource: /Users/admin/Developer/Collaboration/
CalendarServer/data/principals/users/keating>

I'll keep looking into it on my own, but thought I'd throw this error
message back to you first, in case the problem becomes apparent and
you've got a quick answer.  Plus the ACLs all look okay, but I have
no experience with ACLs.  Which ACE does a group's member fall under?

Thanks,
- Tyler Keating