[CalendarServer-users] strange iCal requirement

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Wed Mar 21 03:05:14 PDT 2007

Hi David,

Kind thanks for your reply. Very accurate observations indeed.

On 20 Mar 2007, at 5:40 PM, David Reid wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2007, at 7:33 AM, Alan Levin wrote:
>> "Using iCal with the Calendar Server
>>    1. You need to be running the latest Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
>> release for a version of iCal supporting CalDAV. "
>> Seems strange.....
>
> It's not strange at all really, previous versions of iCal just
> don't support CalDAV.  They do support some sharing based on WebDAV
> but with such limited functionality that it's hardly worth
> discussing in the context of the Calendar Server.

Okay, yes I understand. I only thought it was strange that the server
can do so much more than my (Apple) client and that I need to change
calendar app or what now seems an inevitable wait (and BUY Leopard),
in order to use the server. Any ideas when Leopard may become available?

> In short the CalDAV client situation is currently quite bleak.
> Hopefully that'll change now that CalDAV has an RFC number and
> everything.
> Sorry,

Is there no way that you can share a (possibly crippled) version of
this new iCal so we can see it in action? Or maybe you can tell us a
bit about it (other than what is says here: http://www.apple.com/
macosx/leopard/ical.html  which shows an unchanged interface)?

Kind regards,

Alan