[CalendarServer-users] How to install as system service?

Stonewall Ballard sb.list at sb.org
Tue Nov 6 10:48:58 PST 2007

I want to run CalendarServer on a non-server Leopard Mac. I've built
it and it works fine when run from my account. I didn't see any
instructions on installing it as a system service, but the run file
has an installation switch, so I installed it to /, which puts parts
in various, sensible places.

In the contrib directory, there is a launchd/calendarserver.plist
file, which has different paths to the parts. I edited it and put it
in the right place, but it didn't work. I couldn't find any log of why
that was, so I tried running "sudo /usr/local/bin/caldavd -X" from a
terminal window, and got an error: "/usr/local/bin/twistd: Wrong
number of arguments". I can't tell from the caldavd or the twistd file
why this might be. I get this same error when running caldavd from my
build directory, but not if I run "run".

I hope that an installer (or a MacPort) will be available soon, but
I'd like to know if this is supposed to work. The differences between
the launchd plist and the run install paths make me worry that this is
just incomplete.

I also noted that somewhere it says to use user & group "calendar",
but I have not created those yet, if it matters. I'm just testing
caldavd with sudo.

Can someone please tell me how to install and run CalendarServer as a
system service?

Thanks very much.

  - Stoney

--