[CalendarServer-users] delegation help?

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Fri Nov 9 10:30:39 PST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> --On November 9, 2007 12:16:03 PM -0500 Joe Auty
> <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
>
>> I have followed this configuration and have gotten delegates to
>> show up
>> and I can write to a calendar as a delegate, but how can I set the
>> calendar owner to see the changes/entries made by a delegate who
>> has been
>> provided access? I'm also confused as to why I need to provide the
>> name
>> and password in the location block in addition to the user block?
>>
>> Also, how does the "manage access to my account" GUI config
>> supposed to
>> work? Does this allow defining proxy users? Does it work with the
>> flat
>> file plist/XML files?
>>
>> Sorry for the dumb questions, I'll be happy to write this up once I
>> have
>> an understanding of this, for the benefit of others :)
>
> The bottom line is iCal's delegate UI won't work with the XML
> configuration option right now, as iCal requires a directory system
> to lookup user data.
>
> With the XMl config you can do this: manually configure delegates in
> the file via the <proxies> element as you have done. Then create a
> new CalDAV account in iCal using the delegate's user/pswd, but set
> the server address to the principal-URL of the location or resource
> (you will have to lookup the GUIDs for those via Safari). I believe
> if you do that you will see the resource/location calendars in the
> new account and will have the appropriate delegate access to them.

Is there anyway you could elaborate on what you mean here? Firstly,
what would be gained by doing what you are describing as opposed to
simply setting up access to the other user's calendars without using
the delegates feature? Are you saying to basically figure out what the
URL would be for where the owner's/principal's calendar resides, and
enter this into ICal? Could one do this without knowing the other
user's user/pass? Could you provide me with an example?

Could you dumb this down a little? So sorry to have to ask this :)