[CalendarServer-users] Setting up on Tiger Server

Richard Shepherd richard at shepfamily.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 03:24:50 PDT 2008

Thanks so much Robert.

I now have it working for my purposes using Open Directory. I assume
the xml version will work okay but I haven't tested it.

Therefore to share how I got it working here it is...

1. Ensure your server DNS resolves to your Darwin Calendar Server
(DCS) server machine properly. My DCS is served from the same machine
(ns1.26hollin.lan) that does DNS and DHCP so I'll touch on this later
when configuring caldavd-dev.plist

2. Ensure that the your users and groups are created in Workgroup
Manager (WGM)
	2a.	Group calendars simply require a group created with users added
that can edit the group calendar
		For my example my wife, 2 sons and I want to share a group. I
created the group "26hollincalendar" (don't forget to omit the quotes)
and added all of us as users to this group.

3. Create a user called "calendar"  in WGM (ditto omit the quotes in
all that follow)

4. Create a group called "calendar"  in WGM

5. ssh into your server if installing remotely or open Terminal if
locally

6. Download and install python 2.5
	cd ~
	curl -0 http://www.pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/dmg/python-2.5-macosx.dmg
  > python-2.5-macosx.dmg
	sudo hdiutil attach ./python-2.5-macos.dmg
	cd "/volumes/Univeral MacPython 2.5"
	sudo installer -pkg ./MacPython.mpkg -target /

7. Checkout the source for Calendar Server.
	sudo mkdir /usr/local/caldavd
	cd /usr/local/caldavd
	sudo svn checkout http://svn.calendarserver.org/repository/calendarserver/CalendarServer/tags/release/CalendarServer-1.2
  ./caldavd
		This downloads all the source to the /usr/local/caldavd/caldavd
directory

8. Compile the source
		cd /usr/local/caldavd/caldavd
		sudo ./run -s

9. Copy the /usr/local/caldavd/caldavd/conf/caldavd-test.plist to /usr/
local/caldavd/caldavd/conf/caldavd-dev.plist
		sudo cp /usr/local/caldavd/caldavd/conf/caldavd-test.plist  /usr/
local/caldavd/caldavd/conf/caldavd-dev.plist

10. Edit this file
		sudo pico /usr/local/caldavd/caldavd/conf/caldavd-dev.plist

11. Change the following entries

11a.
  <!-- Network host name -->
   <key>ServerHostName</key>
   <string>ns1.26hollin.lan</string>  <!--PUT YOUR OWN SERVER HERE-->

11b.
Then comment out the XML Directory entry and uncomment the Open
Directory entry.
Then, importantly set the requireComputeRecord key to false

<!--  Open Directory Service -->

   <key>DirectoryService</key>

   <dict>
     <key>type</key>

<
string
 >twistedcaldav.directory.appleopendirectory.OpenDirectoryService</
string>

     <key>params</key>
     <dict>
       <key>node</key>
       <string>/Search</string>
       <key>requireComputerRecord</key>
       <false/>  <!--CHANGE THIS FROM TRUE TO FALSE-->
     </dict>
   </dict>

11c.
Then (phew) change the Authentication method to enable Basic and
Digest but disable Kerberos

  <key>Authentication</key>
   <dict>

     <!-- Clear text; best avoided -->
     <key>Basic</key>
     <dict>
       <key>Enabled</key>
       <true/>
     </dict>

    <!-- Digest challenge/response -->
     <key>Digest</key>
     <dict>
       <key>Enabled</key>
       <true/>
       <key>Algorithm</key>
       <string>md5</string>
       <key>Qop</key>
       <string></string>
     </dict>

    <!-- Kerberos/SPNEGO -->
     <key>Kerberos</key>
     <dict>
       <key>Enabled</key>
       <false/>
       <key>ServicePrincipal</key>
       <string></string>
     </dict>

   </dict>

12. Start the server
	sudo /usr/local/caldavd/caldavd/run

	or to start in daemon mode

	sudo /usr/local/caldavd/caldavd/run -d

You should now be able to log into the server using your browser at http://ns1.26hollin.lan:8008
  in my case.

I do not know why requireComputerRecord needs to be disabled but
without it /Search cannot find the /Computers entry in Open Directory.

I'm not sure if creating the user "calendar" and group "calendar" are
needed. I just did this because I got an error message on server
startup that it couldn't find them. HOWEVER I was mistakenly using the
caldavd.plist as the template for caldavd-dev.plist instead of caldavd-
test.plist. caldavd.plist is included in the 1.2 Release branch as I
assume this is the config file Leopard uses for the Apple compiled Mac
OS X caldavd executable in /usr/share rather than the cross-platform
run script that replaces it in DCS.

One final thing that puzzles me but it doesn't seem to be directly DCS
related is that iCal cannot locate users in Open Directory to add as
individual user calendar delegates. As I said my OD setup seems okay
and users show up in the Leopard client "Directory.app" after I bind
the client machine with "Directory Utility.app". But when I try to
edit the entries or add them Directory.app just tells me it cannot
find an Open Directory server regardless of whether I select password
or Kerberos authentication in the Preferences. I suspect I have set up
Kerberos incorrectly. So for my purposes it works fine with a shared
calendar that everyone can read-write to but wouldn't be usable for an
individual user in an organization for example.

Regards

Richard