[CalendarServer-users] Calendar server lost calendars

Cyrus Daboo cdaboo at apple.com
Tue Dec 9 07:21:12 PST 2008

Hi Antti,

--On December 8, 2008 10:47:16 AM +0200 Antti Hermunen
<antti.hermunen at hasanpartners.fi> wrote:

> I'm running Mac OS X Server 10.5.5 with the Calendar server -
>

> Had to replace a failed hard drive on the server and after the changeover
> iCal Server stopped working.
>

> My guess is that cloning the system and booting off that system on a
> drive with a different volume name somehow borked the OpenDirectory
> settings for iCal Server.
>

> My problem is that I don't know how to get back to a functioning state :(
>

> The calendar data is still there - all 180 Mb of it but the status window
> in Server Admin says that there are no users, calendars etc. and the
> calendars have disappeared from the CalDAV clients i.e. iCal.
>

> please help or shine a ray of hope into my bleak situation :)

The calendar server makes use of extended attributes (xattr) to store
"metadata" for files and directory on disk so that the server can recognize
those as "special" types of resources in the server. In particular,
calendars are only recognized as such if a particular xattr is present on
the corresponding directory.

What may have happened is that you backup/restore process might not have
preserved the xattrs. What you need to do is run a tool on each of the
directories on disk that ought to be a calendar. The tool is located at:

<http://svn.calendarserver.org/repository/calendarserver/CalendarServer/trunk/contrib/tools/fix_calendar>

To run, locate your calendar server document root on disk (usually
/Library/CalendarServer/Documents) and do:

./fix_calendar <<root>>/calendars/__uids__/*/*

You can ignore messages from the tool about inbox, outbox and dropbox.

--
Cyrus Daboo