[CalendarServer-users] Connection made but no data transfers through Leopard server

Emil Lundberg Emil.Lundberg at bmc.uu.se
Fri Feb 8 13:23:46 PST 2008

> Emil Lundberg wrote:
>>
>> Methinks you might have forgotten to add your server's IP number to
>> the BindAddress array in caldavd-dev.plist. By default, the server
>> only responds to requests from localhost (127.0.0.1), i.e. the server
>> itself.
>>
> Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately I have insured that the "Network
> Hostname" is correct, I've even tried using the actual IP address
> for good
> measure.  I have the "Bind Addresses" array set to nothing, so it
> should
> accept everything I believe.  I am having the same problem
> regardless of
> being on the local network or from outside the network.

So can you access the calendar from the server itself then? Try http://localhost:8008
  in the browser to see if you get a login prompt. If this works, it's
not listening on the real IP address. Although from your experience it
looks like the server is silently ignoring your access attempts
(firewall?).

The file indeed says BindAddress can be left blank; nevertheless, try
setting the BindAddress to the IP-address of the server. If you are
not running a local DNS, the IP address is indeed your best bet for a
ServerAdress.

Also check the usual suspects: firewall configuration, editing the
correct caldavd plist, using the correct port numbers, etc. The logs
are not showing any signs of the service failing.

Also try the following command in the Terminal (output will be
different if you're not using the standard ports or are using a single
core machine):

$ netstat -an | grep 80
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.8444         *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.8445         *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.8009         *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.8010         *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  <ip-address>.8443    *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  <ip-address>.8008    *.*                    LISTEN

A *.8008 / *.8443 is also OK. Bottom line is; the server should be
listening on the IP address of your server on ports 8008 (http) and
8443 (https), which then redirect to load-balancing threads on the
localhost interface, one per CPU core. If the last two lines are also
localhost, the server is not listening on the real IP address.

> I remember now that on ubuntu I had to set up something special in
> the fstab
> configuration.  Is this also true for the mac?

No disk/drive/volume configuration should be necessary (in fact,
fstab.* is long since obsolete on OS X :-)

best,