[CalendarServer-users] ics feed from CALDAV

jjspreij div.nabble at demon.cx
Mon Jun 9 02:13:40 PDT 2008

Mark Corner wrote:

> Has anyone written something to translate a caldav calendar into ics/
> webcal format?  A cro job, php script etc.

If anyone's interested, I've written a cron job built on
http://code.google.com/p/merge-ics/ merge-ics  and
http://codespeak.net/icalendar iCalendar  that creates optimized ics files
for all users each 20 minutes.

The crazy thing is, you need to know the caldav UID for each user to do
this, and the command line tools Apple supplies (caldavd, caladmin) do not
tell you this afaik... so our script:

- first webscrapes a list of usernames from
http://<yourserver>:8008/calendars/users/

- then webscrapes each UID from
http://<yourserver>:8008/principals/users/<theusername>

- then builds one clean ics file for each user using merge-ics from the
event files in
/Library/CalendarServer/Documents/calendars/__uids__/<theuserUID>/calendar/

All 40 people in the company can then easily subscribe to the ics feed for
everybody else, which was in our case impossibe to do in a stable or easy
way using CalDav delegation...

If there's interest I'll clean up the code and post it somewhere ;-)

grtz, jj