[CalendarServer-users] shared calendars on Linux

Josh Gentry jgentry at swcp.com
Fri Jun 20 12:33:32 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 02:44:47PM -0400, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> --On June 20, 2008 12:35:44 PM -0600 Josh Gentry <jgentry at swcp.com> wrote:
>
> >I have CalendarServer running on Debian Unstable.  Using the XML File
> >Directory Service I can create a user and publish a calendar from
> >Sunbird.  The next step is to share the calendar.  Here I run into a
> >problem.  I have read that for shared calendars to work I'll have to use
> >Open Directory Service.  I do not have an OS X server.
> >
> >Do I really need to use Open Directory Service for shared calenders?  If
> >so, does anyone have Open Directory Service running no Linux?
>
> You don't need OD to share calendars. The only time OD is required is if
> you want to use the delegates (sharing) feature in the iCal client.
>
> That said, what you do have to do is manually setup delegates/sharing
> support. Some of that you can do via the XML file, but it really depends on
> exactly how you want to do this. Cn you describe what it is you want to
> achieve?

That would be useful, wouldn't it :-(  Here we run up against all kinds
of ignorance on my part.  I have not been a user of this kind of
application myself, which hinders my understanding of what people want
from it.  I know we have lots of clients who would like an alternative
to Exchange for "shared calendaring" or "group calendars," but I don't
have a fine grained understanding of all the features they want.

Lets start with what seems basic.  A calendar that multiple users can
see and some can edit, though maybe not all are allowed to edit.

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate the help.  This software could
fill a gaping hole in the services we provide.

Thanks again,

Josh
--
Josh Gentry