[CalendarServer-users] calendar-query timezone confusion

Cyrus Daboo cdaboo at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 17:14:54 PST 2008

Hi Mark,

--On November 9, 2008 3:14:04 PM -0500 Mark Cockfield
<mark.cockfield at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not the behavior I was expecting.
>
> I think I am missing something but I am unable to see the forest for the
> trees. Any insight would be appreciated.

This is the correct behavior. The <expand> element in the <calendar-data>
element requires the server to return expanded components using UTC for
date-time values (as per the CalDAV spec). The reasoning behind this is
that we expected "thin" clients to be the ones using <expand> and for them
doing the timezone recurrence expansion calculations would be too complex,
so returning everything as UTC and allowing the clients to apply their own
offsets for viewing makes sense.

If you really want to get back the original localtime values, remove the
<expand> element. You will then get back the data with appropriate
VTIMEZONEs included with each calendar resource.

Note that the purpose of providing a timezone to the server is to give the
server an appropriate basis for time-range queries against floating time
and all-day events.

--
Cyrus Daboo