[CalendarServer-users] Installing CalendarServer Instructions

Scott Buchanan dscottbuch at mac.com
Fri Aug 7 06:11:08 PDT 2009

Is there a Wiki or similar on which to find/contribute information
about installation of Calendar Server.  It is definitely not an easy
system to install, even on OS X.

I've been running CalendarServer on 10.4 Server and 10.5 Client for
about 2 years.  I recent had to upgrade to the latest release (2.3) on
the 10.5.8 client to maintain compatibility with the iPhone 3.1  Here
are a few issues I ran into for which I can find no instructions, or
what I did  wrong which cause me to have to do the following after
running ./run -i /.

1) the PYTHONPATH declared in the /usr/local/bin/caldavd was
incorrect.  It was "Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/:$PYTHONPATH"
instead of "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/:$PYTHONPATH" (note the
missing slash at the beginning).  I remember this being a problem 2
years ago and is still there.

2) After correcting item 1 the server would still not launch and the
errors showed that something was looking for /usr/share/caldavd/bin/
twistd.  I could not find where this was coming from so I solved this
by 'ln -s /usr/local/bin /usr/share/caldavd'

3) The it still would not run.  Looking at the logs again it was
looking for memcached which is not installed on 10.5 client.  I then
downloaded and built memcached (and libevent which is required by
memcached).

Now things are running.  I did a bunch of other things with the log
files locations/permissions which have changed (I think) but they may
also have been due to the above items being wrong/missing.

If there was  wiki/FAQ to which to post these that would be great.  If
this exists can you point me to it?

Cheers,

Scott

D. Scott Buchanan Ph.D.