[CalendarServer-users] Available Features using XMLDirectoryService?

Guy guy at britewhite.net
Thu Nov 19 03:57:26 PST 2009

On 19 Nov 2009, at 11:41, Dirk wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am new to this list and interested in running the Darwin Calendar Server for a small company.
>
> We'd need a setup like this:
>
> 4 user accounts:
>
> 1 boss
> 1 secretary
> 2 employees
>
> Have 1 personal calendar for each of the 4 users.
> 1 company wide shared group calendar where all of the 4 persons have read/write access.
> The secretary has read/write access to boss’ personal calendar.
>
> Calendar Clients are Apple iCal from 10.5. and 10.6 as well as the iPhone client.
>
> My questions are (after installing DCS and playing with accounts.xml):
>
> How do I configure above scenario? Is it possible at all?

yup very simple... the company wide calendar you have a few choices on how to set it up.

1. just create a user account and delegate it out.
2. create it as a resource and delegate it out.

You can either setup the delegation inside the accounts.xml file or using ical.  I have to say ical 10.6 (snow leopard) works much better at handling delegates etc.

On the iphone you'll have to create multiple accounts (using same credentials), one for each delegate you want to see, you then change the URL to point to the delegate.

> Do I need a specific release (build) version of the DCS to accomplish this?

nope I think any current (ish) release will work fine.

> Is the accounts.xml rewritten by the server when a user assigns a new delegate in iCal?

nope never written to again. Only read, and seems to only be read on start up, so any changes you make to it will require a restart to update :(

--Guy