[CalendarServer-users] OS X Server vs Darwin Calendar Server and my first DCS installation

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Nov 21 16:21:44 PST 2009

On 21 Nov 2009, at 22:53, Scott Haneda wrote:
> Can someone list the pros and cons of using DCS versus using the
> built in calender server on OS X Server on Snow Leopard?
>
> Or are they the same source perhaps?
> If the answer is that OS X Server is the same, I may go that way for
> integration simplicity. If not, I'd like to start work on a MacPorts
> Portfile for DCS.

My understanding is that the DCS in OS X Server is the same as that at
calendarserver.org, BUT the version in OS X Server is a nice stable
release and its shipped with some nice GUI management utilities (which
are unavailable for the source version).

DCS at calendarserver.org can run on Linux, or on Mac OS X if you
can't afford the server version of OS X.

If you have access to OS X Server I don't see why you'd install it
manually from calendarserver.org instead.

My opinion / perception: the calendarserver.org version would be great
for Linux users / sys admins if someone packaged it properly, but
that's obviously not something that Apple are interested in providing.
I believe there may be some Debian packages, but I don't know how good
they are. I'm not really clear WHY Apple provide the
calendarserver.org open-source version, because it seems fairly
clearly like it's not intended to be an easy solution for end users,
and all I read here is of people having pain with it.

I would be glad to be corrected by other list members if I've
misunderstood the situation.

Stroller.