[CalendarServer-users] Group Calendars

Dameon Wagner d.wagner at ru.ac.za
Tue Sep 22 02:15:09 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:56:22PM +0200, Markus Stürmer scribbled
 in "Re: [CalendarServer-users] Group Calendars":
> Hi Thomas!
>
> See e.g.:
>
> http://trac.calendarserver.org/ticket/330
>
> Group calendars have been disabled; one of the main reasons seem to
> be implications for scheduling. The other that iCal doesn't support
> it… *sigh*

Not being an iCal user I'm sure that's probably correct, although I
can't see why it would be an issue, surely the caldav client just sees
a caldav calendar?  Anyway, seems to work OK with sunbird/iceowl
without issues.

> Of course it is quite annoying not to have them - the only
> workaround I know is to create dummy users for each group and make
> the group write-proxy for that user. If someone has better ideas,
> I'd be interested.

Which is a nasty kludge/hack if you ask me.  Especially if you're
(going to be) using LDAP as a directory.  One of the things I really
like about DCS is that it does/did group calendars, and it's certainly
one of _the_ major reasons why I was asked to test it out, once it
found it's way into Debian at least...

I for one don't need all the attendee/scheduling features for group
calendars, but I'd like to know that when DCS gets updated in the
Debian repositories, and I apt-get upgrade, that all our groups won't
suddenly disappear.

Cheers.

Dameon.