[CalendarServer-users] More notes re: (not) working on CentOS 5...

Joshua Kramer josh at globalherald.net
Thu Apr 1 10:41:40 PDT 2010

Hello Everybody,

After reading the previous thread on CentOS and consulting these
instructions:

http://www.rho.cc/index.php/linux2/48-misc/48-installing-darwin-calendar-server-on-centos-5

...I'm getting *nothing*, no output, when I do the 'run' command.  No
combination of parameters gives me any output.  However, I did deviate
from the instructions at Rho in this manner:

1. Used Python 2.6.5 instead of 2.5.  Python 2.6 includes SQLite (it's no
longer a separate download/install)... and the SSL in Python 2.5 does
*not* handle certificates properly.  The SSL in Python 2.6 is based on
OpenSSL which does handle certificates properly.

2. Installed Python under /opt/Python-2.6.5.  Replacing the system Python
with 2.5 (or 2.6) is fraught with danger and should never be done on a
production system.  To compensate for this, I edited the shell script
named 'python' and corrected the full path for the Python I want to use.

3. Checked-out SVN trunk instead of 4538.  Has anyone done analysis to see
what's different (and broken) between 4538 and trunk?

If I have some time I'll dig into the 'run' script to see if I can get it
going, and at least get to the point where I get something running.  I'd
like to be able to fix whatever's wrong in trunk instead of depending on
an older version.

Cheers,
-JK