[CalendarServer-users] More notes re: (not) working on CentOS 5...

Guy guy at britewhite.net
Thu Apr 1 11:28:07 PDT 2010

Yeah I see ya problem... you didn't follow the instructions! :P

Joking aside... I updated the instructions for the later builds here:

http://www.rho.cc/index.php/calendar-and-contact-server/59-calendar-setup/100-installing-darwin-calendar-and-contact-server-version-3-on-centos-5

I've just followed my instructions above to the letter, except as you did I installed python 2.6.5..

Well I got further than you but it failed on installing Zope! :(

Removing build directory /home/guy/zope.interface-3.3.0/build...
Removing pyc files from /home/guy/zope.interface-3.3.0...
Building Zope Interface...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./setup.py", line 86, in <module>
    **extra)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/core.py", line 152, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py", line 975, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py", line 995, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/command/build.py", line 134, in run
    self.run_command(cmd_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/cmd.py", line 333, in run_command
    self.distribution.run_command(command)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py", line 995, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/setuptools/command/build_ext.py", line 46, in run
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 340, in run
    self.build_extensions()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 449, in build_extensions
    self.build_extension(ext)
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/setuptools/command/build_ext.py", line 175, in build_extension
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 460, in build_extension
    ext_path = self.get_ext_fullpath(ext.name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 637, in get_ext_fullpath
    filename = self.get_ext_filename(ext_name)
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/setuptools/command/build_ext.py", line 85, in get_ext_filename
KeyError: '_zope_interface_coptimizations'
[guy at DCS-TEST1 CalendarServer]$

My only difference from you is that I did indeed install python, by replace the system one..  I agree about not on production systems, which is why I run virtual systems for testing.. However in pythons case it's all to do with links.. in the /usr/bin/ directory you'll see that the file python actually links to the python2.4 or python2.5 file.  You can thus change the system version of python by changing the links.  "Yum" is the only application that I've found so far which really doesn't like you upgrading python, and that's a simple fix of editing the top line of yum and referencing python2.4..

I would guess that in your case it's not really finding the python you want it to.

Oh and as for the differences... there are lots... biggest of which is the inclusion of contact server.

If you want to have a DCS server running quickly from trunk and happen to have a proxmox (pve.proxmox.com) server or other openvz capable server then you can always download and use my image.

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/3548-openVZ-Darwin-Calendar-Server-(DCS)-Released!

The posting to the forum provides the simple steps necessary to get this working.  Once it's installed... change the passwd for the user "build", login as build and then you can svn update to trunk.. It's not far from trunk as it is, Revision 5265 and trunk is at 5433.

Cheers,
---Guy