[CalendarServer-users] Group Calendaring and Shared Calendars

Guy guy at britewhite.net
Wed Mar 3 00:06:44 PST 2010

Hello,

I'm not part of the development team so can't speak for it's direction or anything, however I have been using calendar server for some time so I'll try and answer those questions I can.

Cheers,
---Guy

On Mar 03, 2010, at 06:14, abhi wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently read that groups are being removed from the calendarserver. Currently I have a setup where my users are collaborating with the help of group calendars. Since this will not be possible with future versions of calendarserver, what is the best workaround for a client like Sunbird/Lightning ? I am currently setting up a user calendar with a common password so all users can access it but it's a really ugly hack.
>
> I am listing down my list of queries:
>
>  1. Does calendarserver support shared calendaring? The last comment
>     in bug 330 says that there is no such support in calserver yet or
>     does it mean there is no support for common shared calendars ?.

Yup it's called delegation, you can delegate read-only or read-write access to your calendars.  This can be done via the client (current apple ical supports this, not sure any others do), or direction in the configuration files for the server

>  2. Can a user still share his calendars with others ? Can a user
>     delegate his calendars to other people?

Yup, see above.

>  3. Can I have calendars for conference rooms and other resources.

Yes indeed you can, and you can have them auto-schedule those appointments too.

>  4. Is there a wiki page on what has been implemented with regards to
>     the RFCs?

Not that I'm aware of... several groups have started to try and document this stuff but it's in quite a bit of flux which makes it hard to keep up with.

Of Note, the entries in the XML configuration files has changed between 2.0 and current TRUNK which might be where some people are getting confusion from.  There are now separate delegate.xml, augments.xml and proxies.xml files.  I'm in the process of documenting the install and setup procedure for this newer trunk on centos.