[CalendarServer-users] Migration question

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Tue Sep 20 14:10:21 PDT 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 7:19 AM, Jason Miller wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> First off, I hope there's not an issue with asking Apple server-specific questions on this list. If that's an issue, I apologize, but this is somewhat documentation-related :)
>
> What is the "preferred" method for migration of calendar data?
>
> I have two use cases that I'm studying:
>
> - Migration of users in an enterprise from local calendars or another server to a Snow or Lion calendar server

For local calendars, you can create CalDAV accounts and simply upload the users events into their respective CalDAV accounts. To automate this, something like curl would be fine, just PUTing each one. Since they are local calendars, these events should be all non-scheduled (i.e. no attendees), so there's not much to worry about in the way of relationships to other data or users.

> - Migration of users from Snow to Lion without using the upgrade installation (a migration installation instead)

I don't think I can easily explain this, as it's quite complicated. If you have a Lion server, look at:
/System/Library/ServerSetup/MigrationExtras/59_calendarmigrator.py

In the past, it has been possible (generically, not necessarily with calendar stuff) to manually invoke these migration scripts to get the job done, provided you have set the stage properly. Perhaps that can work here as well...

HTH,
-dre