[CalendarServer-users] Darwin Quick Start - Help on Gentoo Linux

John L. Poole jlpoole56 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 07:11:28 PST 2012

Greetings

I attempted to install the Darwin Calendar Server on a Gentoo based
laptop and could not get the server to start up.  I followed the
instructions
at: http://trac.calendarserver.org/wiki/QuickStart

I've documented my install session and pasted the
results online (30 day expiration) as follows:

install session: http://pastebin.com/DM6T2FpA
STDERR during "./run -s": http://pastebin.com/dSNUMF1H

I went off the install script after completing it and seeing hints that
running
as root may have caused a problem - postgres balks when
run as root.

So, I created a user "darwinc" and changed the permissions on the tree
to darwinc and attempted to launch the server... again,
there seemed to be problems, most likely with postgres.

It seems the Quick Start instructions ought to specify what the user
account should be for a given state, e.g. "root" for the install", and then
a special user to launch.  Or, if it is intended that the service run as
root,
then specify so.  The lack of user specification leaves me wondering if a
fix is to try and create an account in postgres or modify the install
scripts.

The Quick Install instructions seem very concise and I'm willing to try
some
suggestions to get it to work.

Here's my system:
darwinc at themis /usr/local/src/CalendarServer/CalendarServer $ uname -a
Linux themis 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 #1 SMP Sat Sep 17 08:58:44 PDT 2011 i686
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
darwinc at themis /usr/local/src/CalendarServer/CalendarServer $

Any suggestions on what I should tweak or try?

- John Poole