[CalendarServer-users] Adding and removing users (was: Not a calendar resource?)

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Thu Jan 19 13:20:34 PST 2012

On Jan 19, 2012, at 1:08 PM, martin f krafft wrote:

> also sprach Andre LaBranche <dre at apple.com> [2012.01.19.2203 +0100]:
>>> Oh, okay, thought so. So admin is actually not an admin by default.
>>> Now I wonder why it works and 'test' does not. Do calendars have to
>>> be created or do they just exist for each user?
>>
>> No calendars exist by default. A default calendar is provisioned
>> for a user when they log in.
>
> Right, so I don't need to do anything.
>
> And to a remove a calendar, I simply remove the directory of the
> associated UUID in the data directory?

The proper way to mutate *any* calendar data is always to use CalDAV, and never to operate on the back-end data directly. Any reasonable CalDAV client should be able to delete a calendar collection. If not, you could use an admin tool such as CalDAVClientLibrary to perform the delete.

Operating on the back-end data directly usually means your changes are invisible to clients, and may cause errors. Using CalDAV allows the appropriate change notifications to bubble up, so things work as expected.

-dre