[CalendarServer-users] Performance and Parallel Requests to Calendarserver

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Mon Jul 2 13:04:33 PDT 2012

On Jul 2, 2012, at 12:05 PM, emport <em at svenport.de> wrote:

> i thought that the calendarserver could handle multiple request at the same
> time like the apache webserver, for instance.

Verify that you have the server configured properly (e.g. enough daemons to handle concurrent requests - see ProcessCount in caldavd.plist).

The larger problem, though, is that you are issuing one of the most expensive kinds of requests and expecting it to be fast. The service provides ctags / etags as change tokens on events and collections which can be used in conjunction with a client-side cache. In an expected client implementation, requests like the one you are issuing would only happen the first time the client comes online with the account, to cache everything. After that, you only download things that are new or changed.

In general, the service is able to operate in a highly concurrent fashion, although scaling it beyond a single server does require some know-how. You should be able to support a small to medium size workgroup on an average server.

Also, 2.4 is positively ancient. Debian just released a 3.1 package; hopefully Ubuntu will follow soon :) With 3.1, you can also use the sync report: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-webdav-sync-02 - although I don't think it will buy you any huge performance wins, though it may be more convenient.

HTH,
-dre