[CalendarServer-users] Exception thrown when using chained certificates

Morgen Sagen sagen at apple.com
Fri Apr 5 10:33:43 PDT 2013

Calendar server uses a couple different mechanisms to acquire a certificate's passphrase:

1) It will run the program specified in caldavd.plist "SSLCertAdmin", which defaults to /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/certadmin on OS X Server.  It passes "--get-private-key-passphrase /path/to/private.key" to that program which returns the passphrase on stdout.

2) It will run the program specified in caldavd.plist "SSLPassPhraseDialog", which defaults to /etc/apache2/getsslpassphrase.  It determines whether the key type is DSA or RSA, and then <serverhostname>:<port> <keytype> to that program which returns the passphrase on stdout.

You could try configuring the SSLPassPhraseDialog key to an appropriate program on your system.  The problem is I don't know if this will work if the program you specify needs to interact with a tty to prompt for the passphrase because the calendar server worker processes don't have a tty as far as I know.

~morgen