[CalendarServer-users] Possible approach to send email reminder

Amol Kulkarni amolk112k at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 23:43:59 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm checking out approaches to send email reminders from the server. So far
theoretically I've come up with 3 approaches :

1. We can add a daemon on server, which will access all user's calendars
using the authentication of Admin principal and find out all the email
reminders to be sent. It will then set this data in some other database
table for another daemon to send out the email reminders.

2. We can add a daemon on server, which will directly read reminder
information from the database and pass it on to another daemon to send out
email reminders.

3. We can add a database trigger which gets fired while adding/updating an
event - this database trigger will add reminder information to another
database table - say reminder table. A separate reminder daemon will read
the information from the new reminder table and send out emails.

As I do not have a fair knowledge of design and implementation of DCS, I
cannot judge which approach will be technically possible as well as
matching with the design of DCS. So pls provide feedback whether I'm
thinking along correct direction or I need to think something different.

Thanks in advance,
Amol.