[CalendarServer-users] Again: Howto Contact Server

Stefan Bollmann stefan.bollmann at rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 1 14:43:26 PST 2013

?-/

Sry, that I am not able to reproduce all of this...

>> The thing is, that I am not able to synchronize any contact, whether on a mac-client (with the standard address book) with the server or with Android. On my Android I have CardDAV-Sync free. The calendar properties seem to be ok. I can synchronize my appointments. But with the address book, I don't know how to test, what to do...
> Add a CardDAV account either though Contacts.app preferences, or the "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" prefpane.

On the mac or android? Well, I wondered what Contacts.app you talk about. I cannot find it on both clients I can use.. A google search for contacts.app results in apps for the IPhone or others with other names than contacts.app. Maybe it is "Address Book.app".

> Logging Contacts.app should then present a server-side collection named after your server. You need to click the left-most button in this toolbar to see the collections:

Ok, I see the server name. As described in http://www.ronregev.com/misc/pim_server_tutorial/, there is always an error message, when I create it:
"Address book couldn't discover the account settings for the CardDAV server "<server ip>". Make sure the user name and server address are correct, then click Create"
Before this message I accepted the certificate of my server. I am not sure, whether to use <server ip>:8443 or only <server ip>. Nevertheless, I cannot see any difference from my Address Books reaction.

Following http://www.ronregev.com/misc/pim_server_tutorial/, I create the account neglecting the message and I see the server name as you describe it. But there is no sychronizing and in the settings of the new account the 'Server Settings' options are blank. I am able to set the Server address there, but the option 'Server path' is not greyed and not applicable. I set 'Port' to 8443. I do not want to spam everyone with the pictures. The dialogue I described looks like on http://boltzmann.office-on-the.net/~stefan/nogoodconf.png with everything blank and http://boltzmann.office-on-the.net/~stefan/notbetter.png when I filled Port and IP.

Last time I tried to follow http://www.ronregev.com/misc/pim_server_tutorial/. It is an old howto, he suggests to find out a 'guid' of the principal and to write that value into HOME/contacts/ContactsServer/conf/auth/accounts-test.xml. At that time, a software called ContactsServer existed on the CalendarServer :-) . That is, why and where I don't get any further...

> Different clients using the same credentials should have the same view of the server-side contacts. The supported use case is for a user to have a centralized contacts database shared between that user's devices and computers.

Ok, thats what I'd like to have. When I use CardDAV-Sync free on android and use the IP of my server with the calendar user name and its password everything seem(!) to be fine. Well, there are no contacts on the server, because I am not able to add one or to test it. Whatever I do - add one contact on android or on a mac, nothing happens on any other device :-/ . I have two Snow Leopards here and one android. ...

Thank you for the readin'
Stefan

--
"John F. Kennedy didn't look up the moon and sai':
'That's too far.'"