[CalendarServer-users] Permissions problem?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Mar 5 13:40:49 PST 2013

On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:35 AM, Daniele Procida <procida at cf.ac.uk> wrote:

> [Sorry, I didn't notice this had gone to the user rather than the list]
>
> On 5 Mar 2013, at 03:38, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 3, 2013, at 2:43 PM, Daniele Procida <procida at cf.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've had a calendar server running happily for years with no problems. Recently - since restoring my virtual server - it has stopped working.
>>
>> What kind of virtual server?  What version of Calendar Server?
>
> It's an ancient version of Debian, 3.2.35, running an old version of calendar server (I can't work out how to get it to tell me which one).

OK.  It looks like you're using a version of Calendar Server old enough that it uses the file system to store calendar events.  That's _super_ old, and it's not a branch which will ever receive bug-fixes again. I'm afraid you'll really need to upgrade.  The good news is that the new version is a lot easier to manage, in a variety of ways.

One such way is that it's easier to make backups, because the data store is just a database (Postgres, or Oracle, with the possibility for you to implement your own SQL dialect if you like) plus some filesystem stuff for attachments.  If you're upgrading a Calendar Server running on Linux from a filesystem version, be _very_ careful how you make your backups: you need to make sure to preserve all extended filesystem attributes.  Many versions of tar, rsync, etc, that are shipped with Linux distributions won't do this by default, so be sure that you specify any options that are necessary to preserve that informaiton.

-glyph