[CalendarServer-users] Unable to have a stable setup for CalendarServer 4.2

Yoann Gini yoann.gini at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 10:49:37 PDT 2013

Hi,

I’m Yoann. It’s my first message here so a little brief about me. I’m a OS X Server System Administrator and Trainer, actually working on a FreeBSD based setup for a simple services provider infrastructure.

I plan to use the calenderserver project for CalDAV and CardDAV instead of the easy to use SOGo to run a server more close as possible to the RFCs.

I successfully setup the 4.2 release with a LDAP and a PostgreSQL backend on a FreeBSD 9.1 64 bits processor.

It was a pain because the 4.2 didn’t handle well the 64 bits socket descriptors but I’ve add some fixes for that. That was the same with de dependencies, a lot of things seems to be unstable on 64bits, so I install the requirements by my own and run it with a -nr to don’t use built-in deps.

By the way, the behavior to install all deps in .. fold is really unusual and put a big mess…

But what ever. It seems to look like a working config at the end.

I can run the server, authenticate my self, if I enable the principals navigation I can see all my users, I can connect iCal and use it. Well, it’s work.

But, after some times, the server seems to by buggy, I start to make time outs for request, or for opening sockets, or sometime it rework again… Really random behavior and not at lot of interesting things in logs…

To have a idea, all my services, caldavd included are under nagios monitoring, I get something like 20 alerts per day about CalendarServer in a critical state…

Anyone can give me a clue about what to look ? What can be the source of the problem ? How to troubleshooting it ?

Best regards,
Yoann.