[CalendarServer-users] Unable to have a stable setup for CalendarServer 4.2

Axel Rau Axel.Rau at Chaos1.DE
Fri Mar 15 11:37:28 PDT 2013

Hi Yoann,

Am 15.03.2013 um 18:49 schrieb Yoann Gini:

> I’m Yoann. It’s my first message here so a little brief about me. I’m a OS X Server System Administrator and Trainer, actually working on a FreeBSD based setup for a simple services provider infrastructure.
>
> I plan to use the calenderserver project for CalDAV and CardDAV instead of the easy to use SOGo to run a server more close as possible to the RFCs.
You are not allone: I try to build a FreeBSD port for calendarserver, based on the 4.2 release.

> I successfully setup the 4.2 release with a LDAP and a PostgreSQL backend on a FreeBSD 9.1 64 bits processor.
I have (some how) working installations on 8.2 and 9.1, both 64 bit systems, using accounts.xml instead of LDAP.

> It was a pain because the 4.2 didn’t handle well the 64 bits socket descriptors but I’ve add some fixes for that.
I hit the same bug. It has been discussed here:
	http://www.mail-archive.com/calendarserver-dev@lists.macosforge.org/msg01611.html
> That was the same with de dependencies, a lot of things seems to be unstable on 64bits, so I install the requirements by my own and run it with a -nr to don’t use built-in deps.
My port does not use the run script at all, installing dependencies through the ports system.

> By the way, the behavior to install all deps in .. fold is really unusual and put a big mess…
>
> But what ever. It seems to look like a working config at the end.
>
> I can run the server, authenticate my self, if I enable the principals navigation I can see all my users, I can connect iCal and use it. Well, it’s work.
I just reached a similar point, where I start testing, using calendar and addressbook clients on OSX 10.6.8 and 10.8.3, but went soon in a problem, where the master process starts eating cpu cycles, as described here:
	http://www.mail-archive.com/calendarserver-dev@lists.macosforge.org/msg01618.html

> But, after some times, the server seems to by buggy, I start to make time outs for request, or for opening sockets, or sometime it rework again… Really random behavior and not at lot of interesting things in logs…
>
> To have a idea, all my services, caldavd included are under nagios monitoring, I get something like 20 alerts per day about CalendarServer in a critical state…
>
> Anyone can give me a clue about what to look ? What can be the source of the problem ? How to troubleshooting it ?
I have no idea yet, but maybe you look through the above thread.
Currently I'm trying to learn how to profile python processes...

Axel
---
PGP-Key:29E99DD6  ☀ +49 151 2300 9283  ☀ computing @ chaos claudius