[CalendarServer-users] Error Upgrading Database (Schema ver 17->ver 28)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Sep 23 16:32:27 PDT 2014

On Sep 23, 2014, at 8:37 AM, Jacques Distler <distler at golem.ph.utexas.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2014, at 10:28 AM, Cyrus Daboo <cdaboo at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you have any memcached (or calendar server) processes running prior to
>> using calendarserver_upgrade? Looks to me like there is still a memcached running with data from the previous server, but the new server version uses a slightly different format for that cached data.
>
> Ah!
>
> Indeed,  that was the problem. Toggling memcached off and on made the upgrade go through smoothly.
>
> Thanks for the quick response!

Hmm... seems like filing a bug in Trac would still be a good idea though.  At least going forward for future upgrades, the server could store a key in memcache indicating its data-format version; while it would still be an error, it could fail a lot faster and alert you that you need to restart memcache first :-).

-glyph