[CalendarServer-users] Calendars drop out of calendar.app in 10.10.2 Yosemite

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Mon Mar 9 13:33:44 PDT 2015

> On Mar 9, 2015, at 8:01 AM, Frank Fechner <fechner at kemper-schlomski.de> wrote:
>
> Within Mavericks (10.9.5) this worked very well, even when upgraded to Yosemite (10.10.2) but on every new installed Mac that came with Yosemite these calendars disappear (all at once mostly) after some restarts none deterministic.
> After that the server path in the config file of that calendar is:
>
> #       /principals/__uids__/UUID-OF-THE-REAL-LOGIN-USER/
>
> instead of the expected
>
> #       /principals/__uids__/UUID-OF-THE-SHARED-CALENDAR-USER/

Hello,

This reason this is flaky is because what you are attempting is kind of a hack, and isn’t intended to work. The server path is supposed to match the credentials used for login. The reason that you don’t normally have to enter a server path when configuring an account is because the client can usually figure that out on its own. The field is there incase the client CAN’T figure that out, and it is not intended to override the client’s ability to detect where the user’s calendar home is.

I would suggest trying calendar sharing and not delegation. Here are some pros and cons for sharing as compared to delegation:

Sharing does:
* allow you to set up the accounts normally with no custom server path
* work on iOS

Sharing does not:
* share entire accounts; only individual calendars. You can of course share multiple calendars.
* allow users to act on behalf of others

Also there is currently no command line tool for provisioning shares as there is for delegation. The owner needs to invite other users, and the users need to accept the share invitation. The UI for sharing is revealed by right-clicking a calendar, or by clicking to the right of its name, where the airport-looking icon appears.

In Calendar Server 6 and later, there is also support for sharing directly to groups. The basic idea is that you would create a group containing the list of users you wish to receive a given shared calendar. The owner invites the group, and all the members get an invitation. The group membership is tracked over time by the server, so if users are added or removed, the shared calendar is removed or offered based on membership changes. This is still a somewhat fresh feature without a lot of testing, but it’s there if you want to experiment. Also I think the client support for it in Calendar.app is not really there yet (e.g. I think the client will try to expand the group membership before sending the invitation, instead of sending an invitation to a group principal), however once the share is made it should behave normally.

Hope this helps,
-dre