[CalendarServer-users] configuration for APNS push notifications

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Fri Nov 20 10:13:03 PST 2015

> On Nov 20, 2015, at 1:28 AM, Lucian Szantho <lucian.szantho at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I am trying to setup push notifications in CalendarServer 7 and I think I have managed to figure out how to configure the Notifications/APNS in caldavd-dev.plist; when I connect the iOS Calendar client, I can see that inside the Preferences/Accounts the setting: "Refresh Calendar: Push".
> Server side, I have checked and the SubscriptionURL has received a http request with the "key" and "token" parameters. But the notifications are not working between two devices (Macbook and iPhone).
>
> I have figured out that I didn't use a correct certificate/key. However I am still confused about the following:
> * what is expected in the AuthorityChainPath?
> * how can I get the required certificates and key that would work for the calendarserver? I know that on OSX Server.app this is automated.
> * the push topic is the bundleID of the target app. does this mean that push notifications would work only for the OSX/iOS Calendar client?

Hi,

APNS push to iOS clients (i.e. apple's Calendar app) is supported only from iCloud or X Server, because APNS certs matching the bundle ID required by iOS client is in the apple domain, and not something a third party could request for themselves (i.e. using the certificate portal at https://certificates.apple.com <http://certificates.apple.com/>).

It is probably possible to develop your own client using some other bundle ID, following the official documentation of APNS from Apple, and use the associated APNS certs with CalendarServer.

-dre