[CalendarServer-users] Questions regarding delegation, attachments and time errors

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Tue May 9 17:31:28 PDT 2017

> On May 9, 2017, at 11:39 AM, Ian Baker <ibaker at eem.ca> wrote:
> I’ve made the javascript change, identified the problematic event, and dumped the body text.  In fact the body text seems to include two different events, one STATUS:CANCELLED, and the other STATUS:CONFIRMED.

I don't think that in itself is sign of a problem, if these statuses apply to different event instances / recurrences. A single iCalendar body might contain multiple instances if it defines a recurring event for which there are one-off exceptions (e.g. extra attendee for one instance).

> How can I identify the problem with this object?

One option is to use the pycalendar library, which is the module used by Calendar Server for dealing with icalendar objects. In that module there's a 'validator' script that takes the path to an .ics file as a command line argument.

╭─ andre at zomg ~/work
╰─ $ git clone https://github.com/apple/ccs-pycalendar.git
Cloning into 'ccs-pycalendar'...
remote: Counting objects: 2569, done.
remote: Total 2569 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 2569
Receiving objects: 100% (2569/2569), 604.22 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2027/2027), done.

╭─ andre at zomg ~/work
╰─ $ cd ccs-pycalendar

╭─ andre at zomg ~/work/ccs-pycalendar
╰─ $ python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
copying src/zonal/utils.py -> build/lib/zonal
copying src/zonal/zone.py -> build/lib/zonal

╭─ andre at zomg ~/work/ccs-pycalendar
╰─ $ cd build/lib

╭─ andre at zomg ~/work/ccs-pycalendar/build/lib
╰─ $ python pycalendar/validator.py /Users/andre/Desktop/Server\ Staff.ics
No problems

>  Could I perhaps send you the body text under separate cover?

Yeah, email it to me directly (sanitized if needed).

> Also, any thoughts on the issue I described below?
>
>>> Also a related question.  Last week I used the Mac Calendar.app to log into the boss’s account to help him configure some delegation permissions in the app’s preferences, and discovered that a number of emails were sent under my personal email declining invitations.  Here is an example:

>>> I personally was not invited to these events, but the boss was, and he already declined the invitation back in January (according to him).
>>>
>>> I don’t understand why these emails were sent.  Is this expected behaviour?  And if so, is there any way to prevent these from going out?

I have some vague memory of this problem of sending notifications about past events, but I couldn't find a bug specifically about late *email* notifications.

It is possible that your boss went through the correct motions to decline the events, but that didn't actually happen server-side (e.g. iOS clients are generally not awesome at allowing you to know if your changes are hitting the server). To possibly corroborate this, you could look for PUTs / DELETEs of items in your boss' CalDAV inbox, in calendar server's access.log. Even if your boss' declines never processed, it's still a bug to send emails about past events. What versions of everything are you and your boss using?

-dre