[CalendarServer-users] Questions regarding delegation, attachments and time errors

Ian Baker ibaker at eem.ca
Wed May 10 05:27:53 PDT 2017

> On May 9, 2017, at 8:31 PM, Andre LaBranche <dre at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 9, 2017, at 11:39 AM, Ian Baker <ibaker at eem.ca <mailto:ibaker at eem.ca>> wrote:
>> I’ve made the javascript change, identified the problematic event, and dumped the body text.  In fact the body text seems to include two different events, one STATUS:CANCELLED, and the other STATUS:CONFIRMED.
>
> I don't think that in itself is sign of a problem, if these statuses apply to different event instances / recurrences. A single iCalendar body might contain multiple instances if it defines a recurring event for which there are one-off exceptions (e.g. extra attendee for one instance).
>
>> How can I identify the problem with this object?
>
> One option is to use the pycalendar library, which is the module used by Calendar Server for dealing with icalendar objects. In that module there's a 'validator' script that takes the path to an .ics file as a command line argument.
>
> ╭─ andre at zomg ~/work
> ╰─ $ git clone https://github.com/apple/ccs-pycalendar.git <https://github.com/apple/ccs-pycalendar.git>
> Cloning into 'ccs-pycalendar'...
> remote: Counting objects: 2569, done.
> remote: Total 2569 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 2569
> Receiving objects: 100% (2569/2569), 604.22 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
> Resolving deltas: 100% (2027/2027), done.
>
> ╭─ andre at zomg ~/work
> ╰─ $ cd ccs-pycalendar
>
> ╭─ andre at zomg ~/work/ccs-pycalendar
> ╰─ $ python setup.py build
> running build
> running build_py
> copying src/zonal/utils.py -> build/lib/zonal
> copying src/zonal/zone.py -> build/lib/zonal
>
> ╭─ andre at zomg ~/work/ccs-pycalendar
> ╰─ $ cd build/lib
>
> ╭─ andre at zomg ~/work/ccs-pycalendar/build/lib
> ╰─ $ python pycalendar/validator.py /Users/andre/Desktop/Server\ Staff.ics
> No problems

I tried this, but was getting "ImportError: No module named pycalendar.icalendar.calendar”

>>  Could I perhaps send you the body text under separate cover?
>
> Yeah, email it to me directly (sanitized if needed).

Will do.  Thanks for this André, I really appreciate it!

>> Also, any thoughts on the issue I described below?

> I have some vague memory of this problem of sending notifications about past events, but I couldn't find a bug specifically about late *email* notifications.
>
> It is possible that your boss went through the correct motions to decline the events, but that didn't actually happen server-side (e.g. iOS clients are generally not awesome at allowing you to know if your changes are hitting the server). To possibly corroborate this, you could look for PUTs / DELETEs of items in your boss' CalDAV inbox, in calendar server's access.log. Even if your boss' declines never processed, it's still a bug to send emails about past events. What versions of everything are you and your boss using?

I am using macOS 10.12.5
Boss is using macOS 10.11.6, and iPhone 10.3.1
Server is macOs 10.11.6, and Server.app 5.2

Just a thought, if, the next time I have to do something like this, I use a freshly created user that doesn’t have mail configured - might this avoid the erroneous outbound notifications?

TIA

Ian