[darwinbuild] how to build the Security project?

Kevin Van Vechten kevin at opendarwin.org
Tue Nov 15 18:46:56 PST 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 6:27 PM, Ben Zhu wrote:

> A couple of follow-up questions:
>
> 1. Why we use the 8A428 instead of 8C46. What they really mean?
> Where we
> can find out the descriptions for such numbers?

This number is the build version of the system you want darwinbuild
to use while building the software.

If you want to build the versions that are from 10.4, use 8A428.
10.4.2, use 8C46, and so on.  You can find the build version of a Mac
OS X system by running the `sw_vers` command.

> 2. If I want to build a keychain app by using these header files and
> libraries in my real OS X environment, what results such as those
> files
> in the BuildRoot directory I should move into the directory /usr/local
> or somewhere in the system?

You should be careful about using private headers (i.e. headers that
aren't part of the Developer Tools package) since they may be
incompatible in a future release.

That being said, to install the private headers or a modified project
built with darwinbuild, you can copy the project from the Roots
directory to your system using the following:

# ditto Roots/Security/Security-222.root~1 /

Keep in mind that the open source Security framework is slightly
different from the Mac OS X one.  However, it will likely work in
most cases.  You should definitely make a back-up copy of your Mac OS
X security framework.

If you haven't modified the framework itself and are only trying to
install the private headers, then you might want to consider removing
the framework's dylib from the Roots directory before installing on
the base system.

- Kevin