[darwinbuild] Using darwinbuild for development

Shantonu Sen ssen at opendarwin.org
Tue Sep 27 15:24:21 PDT 2005

If you have all the dependencies to build xnu outside a chroot, there
is no value to using darwinbuild. Why are you?

darwinbuild emulates Apple's build system, which cleans out old
object files between builds. Many projects don't do correct
dependency tracking, or fail when old intermediates are present. The
point of darwinbuild is to be reproducible and self-contained, and is
not the best option for iterative development if you already have
that working.

Shantonu